We have again Chisumi Sakaguchi, the yakuzen cooking specialist with great yakuzen recipes for you that are gentle on the body. Her latest book released last September, “The Empress Dowager Cixi’s Anti-Aging Recipes” (Shufunotomo), is now available in Chinese in Taiwan, published by Taiwan Television Culture Co (TTVC).
To celebrate the release of the Chinese edition we present a must-try Chinese medicinal recipe from the book – a black sesame sauce chock-full of black sesame.
Black sesame paste: 1 Tsp
Ground sesame: 2 Tsp
Soy Sauce: 3 Tsp
Vinegar: 1 Tsp
White Miso (Mild): 1 Tsp
Mirin (Sweet Cooking Rice Wine): 1Tsp
1) Mix the above ingredients into a paste. Place in an airtight container and leave in the refrigerator for up to approximately 1 month.
* Can be used as a sauce for steamed vegetables.
*Delicious mixed with doubanjiang (a spicy broad bean paste) and used as a sauce for ‘bang bang chicken’ (a Szechuan dish of chicken in a spicy sauce).
* Great on its own or mixed with a little hot water (to your taste) when using as a sauce for shabu-shabu.
* Example menu using sesame sauce.
Nira with Black Sesame Sauce
(Nira is sometimes called Chinese chive or garlic chive)
Ingredients (Serves 2)
Nira: 1 Bunch
Kuko (Chinese Wolfberry) (if available): 5g
Black sesame sauce (to taste)
1) Wash the kuko and steep in a little water.
2) Flash boil the nira, drain, squeeze out excess water and cut into large bite-sized pieces.
3) You can mix 1) and 2) with black sesame sauce and store in the fridge
* Try with various green vegetables, or add a dash to a bowl of rice. Also makes a nice accompaniment for drinks when toasted lightly in the oven.
Chinese Medical Cooking Advice from Sakaguchi
The Empress Dowager Cixi was obsessed with beauty for her whole life. According to a close court attendant her hair was a luxurious black with almost no gray hair even when she was over 50 years old.
Her diet included a lot of nuts. In Chinese medicine nuts are known as the ‘battery of life energy’ that strengthens the kidneys and possesses anti-aging powers. Within this class of food, black sesame is thought to increase blood, and give hair a black, lustrous sheen.
I recommend that you eat lots of sesame sauce on a daily basis. Eat heaps of black sesame and nurture a thick and glossy black head of hair!
Recipe by: Sumi Sakaguchi, expert in medicinal cooking.
- Kanpo kitchen：http://kanpokitchen.com
- Sumi Sakaguchi’s blog：http://kanpokitchen.blog105.fc2.com/
- 我想信未来 (Blog in Chinese and Japanese):
Chisumi Sakaguchi’s book now has on sale in Taiwan
Chisumi Sakaguchi’s book “The Empress Xi’s Anti-Aging Recipes” now has a Chinese version on sale in Taiwan, published by Taiwan Television Culture Co (TTVC). Please give it a read.