There are a number of people who do not know much about sweet basil seeds. Considering that this is a fairly new product being marketed, only a handful know about the many health benefits that it produces. And for those who are trying to lose weight, this ingredient is something that can help them control their weight. If you are trying to lose weight, make sure you know about this ingredient so you can incorporate it in your diet.
What are Basil Seeds?
Basil seeds have a black color, which make them look like ordinary seeds. However, these seeds have a capacity of expanding up to 30 times their original size. With this ability alone, basil seeds are already considered as an excellent natural diet supplement for suppressing hunger pangs. By indulging in sweet basil seeds, you can stop overeating.
Apart from this, basil seeds help provide you your needed dietary fiber so you can relieve constipation. Instead of relying on unnatural ways of detoxifying your body, this ingredient is something you should try.
Types of Basil Seeds
With the growing number of individuals who are getting attracted to the health benefits that basil seeds provide, it is no longer a surprise to discover that these are easily available. As a matter of fact, the different types of basil seeds are readily available for consumption. The different types of basil seeds include:
- Sweet Basil Seeds
- Hairy Basil Seeds
- Holy Basil Seeds
- Thai Basil Seeds
Using Basil Seeds as a Way of Losing Weight
One of the many reasons why sweet basil seeds are recommended for weight loss is because it is so easy to do. If you are trying to lose weight, you won’t need to change your diet at all. The important thing is that you add the sweet basil seeds into your food.
Since basil seeds do not have a distinguished taste of its own, you can easily mix them in your food. Unlike other diets, you won’t have to sacrifice the taste of your food when you use basil seeds. With this, your food will still be as good but you won’t eat too much.
Another option is to mix basil seeds with water and simply drink the concoction. After just 10 minutes of being immersed in water, the seeds can expand up to 30 times its original size. Once you consume it, you will not feel as hungry anymore.
Health Benefits of Basil Seeds
Weight loss is just one of the many benefits that consuming basil seeds produces. In fact, there are plenty of other advantages that these seeds can do to your body. Here are some of them:
- Helps treat colds – Basil seeds provide relief from fever, colds, and influenza. This is because it contains antispasmodic effects, which help in treating cough.
- Helps skin infections – When crushed with oil, basil seeds have been found to help treat skin infections, wounds, cuts, bladder infections, and many more.
- Helps in proper digestion – Individuals who have an upset stomach are recommended to drink a cup of basil seeds with water. This will provide an instant relief due to the seeds’ carminative effects. With this, basil seeds are used for treating digestive problems such as constipation, indigestion, stomach cramps, flatulence, and irregular bowel movement.
- Cures respiratory disorders – When mixed with ginger and honey, the herb can provide ailment for respiratory disorders such as cold, cough, influenza, asthma, and bronchitis. To use basil seeds for this purpose, the mixture simply needs to be boiled in a glass of water before consumption.
- Acts as a stress reliever – The consumption of basil seeds produces an uplifting effect on the mood. As a result, it helps relieve mental fatigue, migraines, depression, melancholy, and nervous tension. Because of its calming effect in the body, the herb is typically used for aromatherapy purposes.
Despite the many health advantages of basil seeds, there are a couple of downfalls to consuming them regularly. The first downfall is that it is not that easy to find basil seeds. Since they are considered as a fairly new product in the market, they are mostly sold online.
The second downfall has something to do with the appearance of the seeds. Having a huge resemblance to frog eggs, they can be a major turn-off for some people. But once an individual starts getting into the habit of consuming the seeds, the health benefits will prove to be an advantage over its ghastly appearance.
Preparing Basil Seeds
When using basil seeds, it is important to add a couple teaspoons of the seeds to ½ – 1 cup of warm water. This will help the seeds swell. As such, the antioxidants and digestive enzymes of the seeds are released much quicker.
Best Time to Eat Basil Seeds
In order to achieve the best results for your weight loss goal, it is best that you consume the seeds before eating a meal. This will help prevent you from overeating since you are already full from the seeds you consumed earlier. Another option is to nibble on these seeds as a snack so you have a low calorie snack option. And when you’re feeling hungry, you can drink a cup of the seeds immersed in water. This will distract you from experience an urge to eat.
Recipe Ideas for Consuming Sweet Basil Seeds
While you can easily combine sweet basil seeds with just about any dish, here are a few ideas on how you can enjoy them:
- Mix with 100% pineapple juice or coconut milk
- Mix with yogurt and pieces of fruit
- Serve as a Japanese-style dressing for a delicious seaweed salad
Swollen basil seeds may cause small children to choke on them. This is because when the seeds have not been mixed with enough liquid, it will result to a clumpy mixture. As such, it is important to keep basil seeds and such drinks away from the reach of children. And when they are drinking these, they should be under the supervision of an adult.
Another consideration for consuming basil seeds are for hypoglycemia or diabetic patients. These patients should avoid heavily sugared recipes. Instead, they should opt for alternative sweeteners that have been approved by a physician.
Basil seeds provide a number of health benefits to the body but they may sometimes be an acquired taste. There’s no harm in trying to indulge yourself in this treat, especially since it can do wonders for your health. Try it today!